Wednesday, April 23, 2008

St. George, pray for us

Today is the Feast of St. George, and since my parish is under the patronage of the dragon-slayer, Father passed out prayer cards last Sunday at Mass. They erected a small prayer area before his icon, and we all prayed the following after the intercessory prayers:

Father of divine mercy and compassion, may your holy matyr, St. George, who through the power of divine grace fought the dragon of hopelessness and fear, pride and self-reliance, temptation and doubt, help me to bear with like courage the burdens and challenges of life.

Inflame my heart and illuminate my mind with the fire of your love that I may pray as Jesus, "thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."

Most gracious and loving Father, I place this petition before you in union with the passion of Christ (your petition here).

May the intercession of our holy mother Mary, and the prayers and merits of St. George, instill in me the blessed assurance of faith that you always grant what is for my good and the good of others.

Amen.

What really struck me during this prayer was the mention of "hopelessness and fear, pride and self-reliance, temptation and doubt" - all things I wrestle with at one time or another. 

Need something today? Ask St. George.

No comments: