Friday, May 23, 2008

Of lilacs and parishes

Last week our family visited my brother's new home.

Out in the backyard, there is a beautiful lilac bush.

When my sister-in-law noted how she felt bad cutting flowers off the bush, Mo - who's like a second mother to us all - said: "You have to cut it back to keep it healthy. The more you prune it, the more beautiful it will be in the future."

That's all I could think of when I opened my diocese's newspaper this morning and saw the front-page story on parish closings. The diocese has been studying this for years now and, like so many others, is closing several parishes.

The thought of closing a beautiful parish, with all the history it holds for its parishoners, breaks my heart. But, in thinking about it, it would be more painful seeing a parish continue to struggle.

Parish closings and mergers are not easy. They are complex and emotional, understandably so. If my childhood parish closed, I'd be incredibly sad, even though I live 50 miles away and the only time I visit now is for funerals. But it was where my brother and I were baptized, where my parents were married, where I was married, and where we said our final good-byes to too many family members too soon.

So I get where those affected by closings are devastated. Just reading the story in the paper today made my heart break.

However, I think right back to that lilac example from last week. I looked it up online, just to make sure I didn't mishear, and found this quote:

"Without regular attention to pruning, lilacs can lose their shape and become overly bushy, inviting disease. So, for healthy lilacs, regular pruning is essential."

And an unrelated note: Sorry I've been so long between posts. Life's been very hectic as of late. Everything's fine, just not leaving me much time to post. Hoping to rectify that now!

No comments: